Wednesday 28 May 2014

X-Men : Days Of Future Past (2014)

Okay.  Let's begin this with a few comments that perhaps pertain to the movie and maybe not.  I just felt that they had to be mentioned.  More so for myself than for those that are reading this review.

First off.  I had the unique experience to see this film in an old, old theater.  Doesn't seem like much now a days, but I digress.  This added to the movie believe it or not.  Fourteen years ago when the first X-Men movie arrived on the big screen, I got to see it in a theater just like this.  No stadium seating.  Cheap pop-corn.  And I had to pay for my ticket at a wicket stand.  Peterborough had yet managed to upgrade their theaters to the present.  But we made due with what little we had at the time.  And we loved that movie.  Everything about it.

Secondly.  The original X-Men.  Fourteen years ago.  In the hands of Bryan Singer.  We got, in a time where comic book movies for the most part, flopped.  Most were terrible.  Be honest.  You can't argue.  But X-Men was something different.  It was great!  Then came the sequel.  And it was fantastic also!  Some may say better.  (I do on some days.)  Then we got (and it pains me to say), Brett Ratner.  And I don't think that I really need to say much more of that.  It is a film that we all wish didn't exist.

And that is how I shall begin.

Of all of the comic book movies to come out over the years (And there has been A LOT!), I think that the X-Men movies have always been my favorites.  Not the third thou.  But I am sure that you already gathered that already.  We got great stories, great characters, and great special effects and action.  And everything in the right amount.

And another side note.  I never really read comics as a kid either.  Easy now.  I just never got them.  Now back...

The first movie was definitely special.  And now that the series returned with Days of Future Past, and to the hands of Bryan Singer.  That feeling has returned.  We got all the elements of the first movies and the sequel to First Class that we were waiting for.  And to really add to this we got characters from both generations of movies.  Many reprising their roles from years gone past.  Although Hugh Jackman (Wolverine) has lived a better part of his life playing the same character.  And honestly.  Who could even fill those shoes when and if he ever resides to hang up his claws?  Mixing their older counterparts with their younger really added to this series.  And this was done with ease. 


Our story is something that has been in writing for many years.  In fact it was originally made in 1984.  A two part storyline from the comics.  Whom many agree to this day, is one of the best ever written.  Some even feel The Terminator (James Cameron, but we knew this) was a blatant ripoff from this source.  Now Bryan Singer has brought this to the big screen for us (including Non-comic readers) to enjoy.  And that we did.  The story, although it can be confusing at some times, flows almost perfectly.  I say almost, only because I would have liked to see more of the future (present?) challenges that they facing.  The sentinels at the beginning are something really cool to watch!  Other than that point.  The story is one of the best in the series.  But with most movies that involve time travel, you need to pay attention.  I loved that it tied up many of the lose ends that have shown throughout the series.

The action and special effects are at the top again.  The sentinels look fantastic!  And even though there is not as much action as previous X-Men movies, it is top notch.  This film thrived on the story, but it didn't lack on the great sets and action sequences.  What Magneto (Michael Fassbender) does at the climax is something that really needs to be seen on the big screen to appreciate.


But the big question is, how does this movie compare to the rest of X-Men/Wolverine/Comic movies?

As I mentioned before.  I've always like X-Men more than the rest.  So I am a little biased.  But I still can give my opinion.  Over the last few years, we have gotten to see the comic book movies really begin to excel.  There stories are evolving, the acting is getting better, and the special effects and action is getting bigger.  Studios are now thriving on these movies to help them.  And summers aren't summers anymore without these blockbusters.  And X-Men : Days of Future Past doesn't disappoint.  And, it is probably the most intelligent of the all.  It doesn't go over the back story of its characters, it just starts and hits the ground running.  From beginning to end.

Now I mentioned that old theater at the beginning, and how I felt.  I got that same feeling all over again.  Heck, just the opening credits made me feel young again, and that I was in for something special.  I got that and more.  I grinned from ear to ear watching this film.  And Bryan Singer brought that back to me again.  And with this ending.  I can officially exclude X_Men : Last Stand from ever existing.  I can happily say I don't have to watch it again.



Recommendation : This is comic book movie magic!  If you haven't seen the X-Men movies, you could be potentionally lost.  But for those, like myself, that have watched them all.  This is the one!  Great story, that fixes all that is X-Men : Last Stand.  And stay for the credits.  One more scene to pump us up for the next installment!  See this on a big screen for sure.

Cheers!  Roubs.

1 comment:

  1. Good review Jeff. Bryan Singer makes a welcome return to the franchise with a solid entry that manages to balance its large story and cast just about right to ensure that everybody has a good time with this.

    ReplyDelete